If you’re an artist with a light-hearted touch and a flair for style, and you’re able to tackle difficult subjects through your work, we want your help!
We’re thrilled to be teaming up with MRU Diversity and Human Rights and Calgary Sexual Health Centre to produce a consent colouring book – and we’re looking for a member of the MRU community to illustrate it! Our vision is a fun, creative sexual health colouring book that highlights the importance of consent, getting checked, and decreasing the stigma of talking about sex. We’d like to see this colouring book at events all over campus, including pop-up events on Main Street, workshops, and, of course, Sex Toy Bingo!
Are you interested in trying your hand at illustrating this colouring book with your own unique style? We’re accepting submissions! Please see below for the submission guidelines. If you’re chosen as our cartoonist, you’ll be expected to produce another eight pages for a total of ten before July 31.
Email a digital copy of two completed pages (not sketches) to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com no later than June 27, 2017. Please also include your name, contact information, and if you are a MRU student, please include your program and MRU ID number.
Your submission should have a Valentine’s Card theme and demonstrate some of the following concepts:
- Consent is ongoing and can always be withdrawn.
- No one is ever “owed” sex: consent is always necessary and never assumed, even in relationships.
- It’s the responsibility of the person pursuing sexual activity to ensure there is unambiguous consent from their partner(s).
- In some situations, consent cannot be truly given or shared (eg. a partner is too drunk, asleep, under duress, or below the age of legal consent).
- Non-consent means stop. Failure to stop is sexual assault.
- Never convince or coerce a sexual partner.
- The absence of “no” does not mean “yes”.
- Getting tested is good for you (and your partners’) health.
- Openly talking with your sexual partners about safe sex practices leads to a safe, fun, and healthy sex life.
This is a paid opportunity, with a one-time honorarium awarded once the work is completed.
Vice-President Student Life