The Student Governing Board is not currently accepting applications for Governor positions.
The Student Governing Board provides the highest form of governance within the entire Students’ Association of Mount Royal. As a member of the board, you are tasked with looking at the big picture. To many this is a difficult task, but we believe that you have the ability to become a superb board member as we work together to oversee the Mission, Vision, and Beliefs of our organization.
Requirements for Student Governing Board Membership
In order to serve on the Student Governing Board, you must:
- Be a Mount Royal University student enrolled in at least one credit course;
- Commit to the work and mission of the Students’ Association of Mount Royal University;
- Be willing to serve on committees;
- Attend weekly Student Governing Board meetings and assigned committee meetings, held on Monday evenings;
- Attend Annual and Special General Meetings;
- Attend membership meetings as assigned;
- Support, and participate in, Students’ Association fundraising events;
- Fulfill all other volunteer requirements as outlined in the Students’ Association’s policies and procedures;
- Maintain a cumulative G.P.A of 2.5 or higher.
Do not worry about experience as we will provide you with the training you will need to succeed.
Governors are appointed throughout the year and elected in the Fall semester.
How often does the Board meet?
The Student Governing Board meets monthly during the fall and winter semesters and every other month during the spring and summer semesters. The Student Governing Board also holds committee meetings once a month in addition to various work group meetings. Governors receive excellent training and support in areas of board governance and committee work. Past year’s members of Students’ Council described their experiences as successful, beneficial, professional and an overall excellent opportunity where their skills were utilized and valued, as well as enhanced through the experience of serving on the board.
What kind of skills can you gain?
Students’ Council Governors receive training and obtain skills through work experience in the following areas:
- Governance and representation – Understand the roles and responsibilities of Boards and of directors, representational roles, board/ staff relations, goal setting, and fiduciary responsibilities.
- Finance training – Learn how to read operating reports, understand budgets, financial statements, and ask the right question to ensure financial stewardship of the Students’ Association.
- Robert’s Rules – Chair meetings and briefings, participate in meetings, prepare for meetings, understand meeting procedures, partake in committee work, ensure that agendas are prepared, minutes and bylaws are reviewed and the work cycle is in progressing.
- Team building – Learn about cooperation, conflict resolution, communication, and create cohesive work groups.
- Collaboration and self‐discovery ‐ Learn about the work style colour energy that best describes you, how to collaborate with other work style types and tips for overcoming common conflicts in the work place.
- Leadership ‐ understand and build confidence in yourself and others, set an example, represent others, take ownership, communicate effectively, persuade others, counsel, evaluate, and develop active listening skills.
Phone: (403) 440-6405