Please be advised the Experiential Learning Fund program has reached its limit and is now closed until July 1, 2017. If your event is taking place July 1 or later, you can still apply.
The Students’ Association of Mount Royal University (SAMRU) offers the Experiential Learning Fund (ELF) to help individual students fund personal and professional development opportunities outside their academic experience at Mount Royal University. This fund was created to help eligible students take advantage of unique learning and growth opportunities.
What kinds of activities can the ELF be used for?
The ELF can be used to fund a variety of personal and professional development opportunities, including participation in:
- Conference or trade shows
- Student exchange programs
- Field schools
- Teach-abroad programs, etc.
What expenses are included in the funding?
Eligible costs the fund can be used for include meals, delegate or program fees, transportation, and accommodations.
How much can I qualify for?
Students are eligible for funding for a maximum of two opportunities per academic year although total funding per academic year is capped at $1000.00 per student. Funding is granted on a first come first serve basis; once the funds are depleted applications will not be accepted until after June 30th of that academic year.
Funding levels are based on the following criteria:
|Conferences: In AB||Conferences within AB, including Calgary (1-5 days)||$150 or 50% of eligible costs (whichever is less)|
|Conferences: In Canada||Conferences within Canada, not in AB (1-5 days)||$300 or 50% of eligible costs (whichever is less)|
|Conferences: International||Conferences outside of Canada (1-5 days)||$500 or 50% of eligible costs (whichever is less)|
|National or International:
Study Abroad, Field School, Work Abroad
|National and international opportunities that are longer than a typical conference (more than 1-5 days)||$700 or 30% of eligible costs (whichever is less)|
Experiential Learning Fund shall not exceed:
- The amount granted as per the established funding levels, or the the balance of reasonable and legitimate unpaid or unfunded costs incurred by the applicant as demonstrated in his/her final report, whichever is less
- $1000 per student per academic year
- The balance remaining in the fund for distribution
Applications outside of the established criteria will be reviewed by the Experiential Learning Fund Committee. All funding is granted at the discretion of SAMRU.
Who is eligible for an ELF grant?
ELF applicants must:
- Be members of SAMRU in good standing (i.e. current credit students of Mount Royal);
- Be of the age of majority; and
- Be in good academic standing with Mount Royal (GPA 2.00+).
What restrictions are there on ELF grants?
The ELF is available for individual students only and may not be used to directly, or indirectly, fund the activities of any group, association, corporation, or charity. Also, the ELF may not be used to fund:
- Activities which contravene any legal statute;
- Tuition or other education-related expenses at Mount Royal or its affiliated or collaborative partners;
- Expenditures for pleasure travel;
- Experiences for which the student will be reimbursed by any other source of income, including parental support, scholarships, grants, bursaries, employment, etc.;
- The personal or professional development opportunities for current SAMRU Executive Members, full-time staff members, and members of the Students’ Council during their time in office.
What is the process for application and receipt of grant money?
The application is due no later than five business days prior to your development experience and should submitted to the Reception Office in Wyckham House (Z222) or emailed to the contact below. Your ELF application will be reviewed to determine the appropriate funding level. After this review, you will receive a letter by email regarding the decision.
What responsibilities do I have if I receive an ELF grant?
Upon the completion of your experience, you have three weeks to submit a written report to SAMRU, including:
- A brief report (maximum two (2) pages) on your development experience, including how you were able to achieve your development outcomes and whether you would recommend the experience for other Mount Royal students;
- Eligible expense receipts for approved activities equal to or greater than the approved funding amount; and
- A photograph of your experience for possible publication by SAMRU.
Once the report is received, the ELF administrator will review the report and issue you a cheque for the approved amount, or the actual expenses incurred as supported by the submitted expense receipts, whichever is less.
Five (5) business days before your trip (minimum), submit application to the Reception Office (Z222) in Wyckham House or email it to the contact below.
Leave for your trip and have a fantastic time!
Three (3) weeks after your trip, submit a written report of your experience as outlined above.
ELF Application Form
You can download the application form here, or pick it up at our Reception Office (Z222) in Wyckham House.
For more information, please contact:
Phone: (403) 440-5603