CREATE a Better Now is an annual student-led conference that focuses on sustainable communities, global citizenship and leadership development. It includes workshops, panel discussions, keynote speakers, art, music and your creativity! It is moving vision into action this year with the integration of a collaborative campus innovation challenge. Stay tuned for more updates on the campus innovation challenge!
This event brings together the campus community with leading local social changemakers and experts focusing on solutions to challenging issues. Students shape the conference programming through participation as conference organizers, program volunteers, presentation or workshop facilitators, and collaborators.
CREATE a Better Now 2016
Conference Schedule At-A-Glance
To view the full conference schedule, download the PDF
Tuesday, January 26
- 10:00 a.m – 2:00 p.m. | Bike Mechanic Workshop & Sustainable Community Building Discussion, presented by Good Life Community Bikes and facilitated by Tara Bennett (MRU Environmental Science student) | Main Street
- 3:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. | Geothermal Energy: The Revolution That Albertans Ignored, presented by Daniel Rodriquez (MRU Journalism student) | Council Chambers (2nd floor of Wyckham House)
- 6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. | Film Screening & Discussion of Bastardy: the Life of Jack Charles, with speakers Jack Charles (Australian Aboriginal elder, actor, musician, and potter) and Rachael Maza Long (Artistic Director for Ilbijerri Theatre Company) | Y224
Wednesday, January 27
- 11:00 a.m – 12:30 p.m. | Solutions to Food Waste and Food Insecurity in Calgary, with panelists Janet Melrose (Calgary’s Cottage Gardener), Carla Bitz (Calgary Eats and Alternate Root), and Lourdes Juan (founder of Leftovers Foundation) | Council Chambers (2nd floor of Wyckham House)
- 12:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. | The Ghost’s Story: A Community-Organizing Model of Change-making, presented by Sharon MacDonald | Council Chambers (2nd floor of Wyckham House)
- 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. | Zero Waste and the City of Calgary’s current and future initiatives, with speakers Lindsay Seidel-Wassenaar (leader of Calgary’s Strategic Planning and Policy Waste & Recycling) and Alex Berthin, (team lead for Green Workplace Green Calgary Association) | B206
Thursday, January 28
- 11:00 a.m – 12:30 p.m. | Moving Forward From Paris: What Does COP21 Mean for Climate Justice?, with speakers Nimra Amjad (MRU student and member of the Canadian Youth Climate Coalition), Matt Hammer (member of Calgary Climate Action Network), and Dr. Christine Giancarlo (MRU instructor, Sociology and Anthropology) | Council Chambers (2nd floor of Wyckham House)
- 12:00 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. | Indigenizing MRU Campus Strategic Plan Discussion, with Jon Fisher (Director of MRU Iniskim Centre), Liam Haggarty (MRU instructor, Indigenous Studies), and Cory Cardinal (SAMRU Cultural and Indigenous Programmer) | Council Chambers (2nd floor of Wyckham House)
- 2:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. | Polar Voices, with Annie Quinn (postdoctoral Fellow at the Arctic Institute of North America) | Council Chambers (2nd floor of Wyckham House)
- Support student-led projects and student development opportunities.
- Strengthen campus community support networks for those interested in sustainability, global citizenship and innovation.
- Encourage resourceful collaborations to create the opportunities for change that they wish to see.