The Pride Centre is a queer-positive, all gender-inclusive, safer space in which students explore gender and sexual identity. The Pride Centre is a space for students to:
- create inclusive community across the gender and sexuality spectrum.
- find support for themselves and support their gender and sexually diverse peers.
- enhance everyone’s learning about gender and sexual diversity.
The Pride Centre’s programs and services include:
- Gender and sexuality resource library
- Free safer sex and pregnancy prevention supplies including latex-free, internal condoms, and dental dams
- Free educational information for gender and sexual diversity, sexual and reproductive health, and healthy relationships for people of all genders and sexualities
- Referral services and peer support
- Queer-positive events and workshops
Are you interested in volunteering with the Pride Centre? Check out the volunteer page!
On Monday, November 20th, SAMRU’S Pride Centre will be honouring the lives of transgender and two-spirit individuals who were lost this past year to transphobic violence as well as honouring the lives of MMIWG (missing and murdered indigenous women & girls).
The event will commence with a smudge and prayer followed by the healing song. Participants will then join in on a guided walk through campus and conclude with a short ceremony and reception. The walk will commence in the Iniskim Centre at 4:30pm and convene in the Art Gallery for the ceremony at approximately 5:00pm. At the conclusion of the ceremony, light food and refreshments will be served.
To RSVP, head to our Facebook event!
Spend your Wednesday afternoons with us at Crafternoon!, a drop-in craft sesh led by volunteers and staff. Take a well-deserved break from essays, labs, and tutorials and get in on some hands-on fun and relaxation. Every week we’ll provide a DIY craft, as well as all the material and instruction you need, so all you need to do is show up. If you’re feeling nervous, we encourage you to bring a friend!
Crafternoon! will take place every Wednesday from 12:00pm – 2:00pm for the duration of the fall semester (excluding Fall Reading Week).
September 13: Paint swatch calendars
September 20: Make-your-own journals
September 27: Sex positive doorknob signs
October 4: Yarn webs
October 11: READING WEEK
October 18: Sexual violence & sexual assault prevention felt patches
October 25: Make-your-own crystals
Join us in the Pride Centre every Tuesday night for Pop Culture Queered! Each week, we’ll meet to discuss queer media across multiple genres such as literature, poetry, music, movies, TED talks, YouTube videos and more. Discussions will be centred around themes such as expression, identity, sexuality and gender. Through this club, we hope to offer a safer space for students to have meaningful conversations about LQBTQ+ representations and misrepresentations in literature, media and beyond.
Pop Culture Queered will take place 4:00pm – 6:00pm on Tuesdays for the duration of the fall semester (excluding Fall Reading Week).
September 12: Slam Poetry (Miles Walser, Andrea Gibson, Denice Frohman)
September 19: Children’s Literature (“And Tango Makes Three” Justin Richardson & Peter Parnell, “The Family Book” Todd Parr)
September 26: Erotica and Fan Fiction
October 3: Vivek Shraya (“Even This Page is White”)
October 10: READING WEEK
October 17: Local Artists (Rae Spoon “My Prairie Home”, Tegan and Sara)
October 24: Drag Queens (Courtney Act, Adore Delano, Trixie Mattell)
October 31: Todrick Hall (“Straight Outta Oz”)
- November 7: RuPaul’s Drag Race (season 8 on Netflix)
- November 14: Happy Endings or Not (Degrassi: The Next Generation, The 100)
- November 21: Trans Actors or Not (Laverne Cox, The Danish Girl)
- November 28: Sense8