Season of Caring brings our MRU campus and Calgary community together during the winter season. A tax receipt will be provided for all cash or gift-in-kind donations over $20. If you’d like to donate to warm up a student’s winter, then below are ways you can provide support.
If you’re able to commit a few hours of your week to help us out, we’re looking for volunteers to lend a hand at our Main Street booth. This mostly entails giving out information, collecting donations, and helping find sponsors for students and families on the Gift Hamper wish board. We provide all the training you need! You don’t need to be a Mount Royal student to volunteer for this opportunity.
Sign up to volunteer at our booth:
- Click this link, and then select “ our volunteer database.
- Log in to your volunteer account.
- Click the Opportunities tab and find the Casual Support section of the page.
- Click on a Season of Caring Tabling link (these are listed by week).
- Select the shift that works best for you.
For more information about volunteering at our booth, please contact our Events Coordinator.
Sponsor a Gift Hamper
Sponsor a student, a child, or an entire family by purchasing gifts off their wishlist.
1. Pick up a gift tag from the Mitten Board at the Season of Caring table at West Gate:
November 14 to 29, 2017, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 11 am to 2 pm. Fill out the required information on the donation form (either with a volunteer or online).
2. Purchase a gift following the gift amount with a sale receipt.
- Since gifts are sponsored through the kindness and generosity of the MRU community, students/families who apply understand that there are no guarantees about what they will receive. This means that the donor does not have to buy the all items on the tag, and are not obliged to buy any of the items on the tag. The donor can use the information on the gift tag to buy a present that they feel is appropriate. Please note that second-hand items will not be accepted because it is difficult to assess the condition of the item until seen, and everyone’s perception of gently-used is different.
3. Drop off the gift at Peer Support Centre November 14 to December 5 (10 am to 4 pm). No gifts can be accepted after the December 5th deadline. Please return the gift tag with the gifts so we can get it back to the correct person. Please leave gift unwrapped – our volunteers need to organize the hampers before giving them to the students.
4. A tax receipt will be provided for all gifts-in-kind totalling over $20. If you’d like to receive a charitable tax receipt, you must fill out the form completely, including: name, home address with postal code, email, and phone number. A copy of the sales receipt(s) must be attached. Please purchase items on a separate transaction from personal items. We are unable to issue receipts for goods that are dropped off without the information requested above.
Sponsor Gift Hampers as a Department
Sponsor students, children, or an entire family by purchasing gifts off their wish list as a department.
1. Pick up a gift tag from the Mitten Board at the Season of Caring table at West Gate, November 14 to 29, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday from 11 am to 2 pm.
2. Collect money from individuals and pool it to purchase items for the gift hamper.
3. Email the Peer Support Coordinator for a tracking form. Keep track of each individual’s donation on this form. Each individual can qualify for a charitable tax receipt.
4. Include each individual donor’s name, home address, postal code, phone number, email address, amount donated, and date of donation on the form.
5. Submit the form along with the gift hamper to the Peer Support Centre (Wyckham House, room Z210) from November 14 to December 5, 2017, between 10 am and 4 pm. No gifts can be accepted after the December 5th deadline. All receipts of items purchased must be included and can be stapled to the back of the list.
Food and Hygiene Donations
Drop off non-perishable food items and hygiene products at the donation boxes set up at participating departments in the university OR at the Peer Support Centre (Wyckham, Z210). Donations help support the Peer Support Centre’s Food and Hygiene Cupboard, which students access year-round. Extra food donations are given to the Calgary Food Bank. This is an ongoing initiative. Donations are accepted throughout the Fall and Winter semesters.
Cash donations are welcomed at the Peer Support Centre, or online here. You can also support our Candy Canes for Pocket Change fundraiser by donating spare change for a sweet treat at our Season of Caring table located at West Gate, November 1st to 29th, 2017, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday from 11 am to 2 pm. Donation bins are also located across campus.
All monetary donations raised goes directly towards supporting our Gift Hampers program, and funding students who apply but are not sponsored by the community. Charitable tax receipts will be issued for donations over $20 at Peer Support Centre, the Season of Caring table, or online at Canada Helps.
Peer Support Coordinator
Wyckham House, Z210