What is the Students’ Association?
The Students’ Association of Mount Royal University (SAMRU) represents and serves Mount Royal University students to help them succeed. SAMRU is a charitable organization that owns and operates the student centre, Wyckham House. The Students’ Association administrative and student representative offices are located on the second floor of Wyckham House.
Click here to view our Annual Reports and Audited Financial Statements.
The Students’ Association of Mount Royal University exists to:
- Act as the sole representative body for all Mount Royal University students;
- Oversee all student-owned or student-operated facilities on campus, including the Wyckham House Student Centre;
- Provide a wide variety of excellent student services;
- Enhance students’ overall University experience;
- Provide meaningful volunteer opportunities for students;
- Coordinate special events and activities;
- Provide leadership development designed to complement students’ academic pursuits;
- Act as the official medium of communication between the students and the University’s Board of Governors;
- Develop and manage student clubs and organizations;
- Liaise between the students, the University, and various levels of government;
- Help interpret University policies with and for students;
- Promote the general welfare of students consistent with the purposes of the University;
- Administer student funds and affairs; and
- Provide a centre for social activities on campus in Wyckham House.
Our Mission, Vision and Values
Click here to read about our mission, vision and values.
Want to know where your fees go? Click here to learn more.
A students’ council has existed at Mount Royal for over 100 years now, since the time the institution opened its doors in 1910. This makes us the second oldest student government in Alberta. In the 1960s, Mount Royal Junior College became a public post-secondary institution. The students decided to officially incorporate under the Alberta Societies Act and, in 1967, the Students’ Association of Mount Royal College (SAMRC) was born.
In September 2009 Mount Royal College officially became Mount Royal University, and following that the Students’ Association of Mount Royal College became the Students’ Association of Mount Royal University (SAMRU).
We remain as committed to student life today as we were at our humble beginnings. Today, we have over 12,000 members, 18 Governors (including 4 Representation Executive Council members), 34 full-time staff, roughly 60 part-time staff, more than 300 volunteers each year, and an annual operating budget of over $8.1 million.
SAMRU is now one of the leading student governments in Canada. This reputation has been earned through our long-standing and active commitment to improving the quality of life of Mount Royal students as well as advocating for all students.
In 2010 we developed a strategic plan to carry us forward. A number of different groups of people were included in the development of this plan, including students, staff and volunteers along with members of the Mount Royal community including administration and faculty. We are pleased to present an online version of our strategic plan here, and invite you to pick up a hard copy of the plan in our reception office in Z222.
Students’ Association of Mount Royal University
Room Z222, Wyckham House Student Centre
4825 Mount Royal Gate S.W.
Calgary, AB T3E 6K6
Phone: (403) 440-6077
Fax: (403) 440-8909