This page is dynamic and may change at any time as this is a developing situation.
Last updated: March 26, 2020.
You can still access SAMRU services (and you should)
SAMRU resources available online:
- Student Advocacy Resource Centre
- SAMRU Care Packages (food and hygiene products)
- SAMRU Stress Less: External agency resource list
- Emergency Student Funds
- Government financial resources
As you all know, provincial authorities have cancelled in-person classes at all post-secondary institutions, including MRU, but have directed campuses to remain open so students can access services. Like the rest of the MRU campus, the Wyckham House Student Centre and your Students’ Association remain open to serve you while taking steps to minimize risks to our members, employees and others using our spaces and services.
SAMRU Reception is open 11:00 am – 4:00 pm for emergency food hampers, emergency student loan pick up, lost and found, general inquiries and mail receiving. (As of March 25th)
Location: Room Z222, Wyckham House
SAMRU’s here to help!
We know that many of our members depend on the Students’ Association’s food and financial security programs day-to-day, and perhaps especially so in these uncertain times. SAMRU continues to support MRU students by providing access to essential Students’ Association services like free food hampers and hygiene products, financial assistance and referrals, support with academic and non-academic concerns, and other valuable student services.
Our Peer Support Centre has implemented heightened precautionary measures, such as increased sanitization of high touch areas and encouraging social distancing if someone requires in-person support, however many of the services and resources have now been modified to be delivered remotely.
- SAMRU care packages (pickup in-person): ready-to-take single bag hampers of non-perishable food and hygiene supplies are replacing our Free Breakfast Program and the Food and Hygiene Cupboard program. Students may drop in to pick up these relief bags from 11-4 Monday to Friday. We’ll be monitoring demand to ensure that we have enough supplies on-hand, but you can also call ahead and we’ll make sure to have one available with your name on it.
To get your SAMRU Care Package, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 403-440-6077. Please bring your student ID with you.
- Mobile Grocery Store: The Mobile Grocery Store has a delivery request form where students or anyone you know who is in need can go: https://freshroutes.ca/delivery-request/. The market will not appear on campus again this semester.
- Good Food Box: GFB is still operating, however a bit differently. We are now taking orders over the phone at reception (403-440-6077) and taking payment by credit card (we charge their card then send them a receipt). Once the orders arrive the student/client will need to come to reception to pick up their box.
Many other SAMRU student services will be provided remotely, either by appointment, by phone, virtually or online:
- Remote Student Advocacy Resource Centre services: if you are seeking assistance or have questions about navigating grade appeals, grievances, academic or non-academic issues, you can contact our student advocacy coordinator, David, by phone at 403-440-7779 or by email at email@example.com. See the Student Advocacy Resource Centre page for more information on what this service provides.
- Wyckham student spaces: The Pride Centre and the Yellow Room on the 2nd floor of Wyckham House, and the Clubhouse on the 3rd floor are all currently closed. Pride, Clubs, and the Cultural & Indigenous programmers (Sarah, Margo, and Cory) can each be contacted during center hours (11-4, M-F) at the emails provided on the relevant web pages at samru.ca.
- Stress Less: An online version of the popular exam-time programming is going to start next week. We are currently looking at doing things like virtual crafting and painting, sharing videos online, having a Q&A with Arlo the Doggo, sharing snack recipes, a blanket fort activity, and many other things. Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter to find out what we’re doing next week!
- Community resource list: We’ll be providing a continually updated list of community services and resources and their status on the website.
- SAMRU Awards: While the awards event has been cancelled, all submitted nominations will continue to be reviewed. Winners will be contacted and arrangements made to receive funds and/or certificates.
- Student representation and advocacy: Your elected Representation Executive Council (REC) members continue to work hard on your behalf to represent the best interests of students. They are currently dealing with internal and external officials about how this health crisis is affecting students, continuing to advocate on issues like tuition, MRU’s budget, government funding, academic programming, and many other things.
- Student Governance: Your student governing board is actively monitoring the changes to SAMRU’s operations and is meeting virtually online to make strategic decisions about SAMRU’s direction.
Stay safe out there and avoid coming to campus as much as possible. Best of luck with your classes and your final exams. And remember, if you need anything —support, referrals, or just someone to listen — please let us know and we’ll try to help the best way we can.
Adjustments to regular operations
- Extraordinary precautions are being exercised in Wyckham House and the Wyckham food court to ensure the health and safety of the campus community.
- To protect the health of students and staff SAMRU has cancelled all non-essential events and programs and has modified the delivery of many of its services.
- Currently, our building remains open with reduced operational hours. Reception and administration offices in room Z222 are open from 11-4 at this time.
- Students have been advised by Mount Royal University to stay away from campus unless being here is necessary.
- Our student services are being transitioned, where possible, to remote delivery through phone, email, or the samru.ca website.
- Some services may not be available at this time.
- The entire campus is closed between 8:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.
As everyone knows, the situation is changing very swiftly and dramatically. New information requires us to adapt quickly and further restrictions may be imposed upon us. Please visit samru.ca for up-to-date service availability.
SAMRU contact information
If you have a question about Wyckham House or any students’ association services and programs, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Emails are checked daily during business hours. Alternatively, you can contact us (SAMRUBuzz) on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter (messages are checked regularly during business hours).