How do I start a club?
The purpose of clubs is to offer students the opportunity to engage in co-curricular activities which facilitate the development of essential life skills such as interpersonal communication, conflict resolution and time management. Clubs provide a vital medium for students to network with other students, faculty, businesses and the community. Students may choose to simply participate within a club by supporting and promoting events, or to tackle a more challenging leadership role by becoming an executive member. Regardless of your level of involvement, clubs help you to feel more connected to the campus community.
The process for establishing a new SAMRU Club on campus is smoothly structured to allow students the most effective and efficient means to register their club. Ratification involves two steps: submitting your ratification form online and sending at least 2 club executives to clubs training.
Steps to Ratification:
1. Conceive of a club and recruit at least 3 executives and 7 members (for a total of 10)
2. Read the Club Procedure document available here
3. Submit the ratification form online, along with all signatures and your constitution (you can upload these directly through the form) available here
4. Have at least 2 executives RSVP for clubs training here
5. Your ratification application will be reviewed and you will be notified when your club is officially ratified.
6. Don’t forget to apply for funding once your club is ratified here
Cougar Athletics and Recreation (CAR) also has a clubs program. To learn more about the differences between CAR and SAMRU clubs see this FAQ.