Representation & Lobbying

One of SAMRU’s main jobs is to represent credit students to Mount Royal University, all three levels of government, and the public at large. By participating in University boards and committees, as well as partnering with external lobbying organizations, SAMRU’s representatives take student voices to the places where decisions are made.

Parliament Hill in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Parliament Hill in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Mount Royal University Representation

MRU’s governance structure follows a bi-cameral model, meaning the Board of Governors makes management decisions and General Faculties Council makes academic policy decisions. SAMRU representatives serve on both the Board of Governors and General Faculties Council as well as their subcommittees.

SAMRU’s Representation Executive Council serves students by representing their opinions on dozens of additional university committees on a very broad range of topics from academic scheduling to valedictorian selection and everything in between. This work requires input and participation from SAMRU members through a variety of feedback mechanisms and through volunteer opportunities.

External Representation

SAMRU partners with other student organizations to represent students’ interests municipally, provincially and federally. SAMRU is a member of the Council of Alberta University Students (CAUS), which advocates for students on post-secondary issues such as tuition fees and university funding. As the provincial government is largely responsible for the post-secondary sector, CAUS is the primary avenue for effecting change for our university.

The Canadian Alliance of Students’ Associations (CASA) is the federal group in which SAMRU holds membership. It advocates on national issues of accessibility, affordability, innovation and quality.

t-logo    CASA-Logo-FINAL-horizontal

Getting Involved in Representation

There are various ways to become involved in representing students at SAMRU. You can be elected to office as a Representation Executive or Student Governor of SAMRU. You can also volunteer to participate as a member of a representation committee.

There is currently one representation group for the 2019-20 academic year:

Vice-President Academic Advisory Committee (VPAAC)

The Vice-President Academic Advisory Committee (VPAAC) is a body of students who discuss the academic matters at MRU. This group connects to General Faculties Council (GFC), the MRU body that makes decisions related to academic planning and policies at the university. Students can participate in these discussions by volunteering as a Faculty Council Representative, GFC Student Councillor or VPAAC student volunteer. An honorarium is available to students who sit on General Faculties Council. Members of VPAAC gain valuable skills and experience including practical meeting skills, experience working with University professionals, and experience representing student concerns on one of the most important decision-making bodies in the University.

For more information or to apply for VPAAC, contact your Vice-President Academic at (403) 440-6402 or at


Governance & Representation Manager 
Phone: (403) 440-6405
Email: governance