In light of COVID-19, the Student Governing Board election has been cancelled.
Please check back in the fall for information about the 2021 elections.
Requirements for Student Governing Board Membership
In order to serve on the Student Governing Board, you must:
- Be a Mount Royal University student enrolled in at least one credit course
- Commit to the work and mission of the Students’ Association of Mount Royal University;
- Be willing to serve on committees;
- Attend weekly Student Governing Board meetings and assigned committee meetings, held on Monday evenings;
- Attend Annual and Special General Meetings;
- Attend membership meetings as assigned;
- Support, and participate in, Students’ Association fundraising events;
- Fulfill all other volunteer requirements as outlined in the Students’ Association’s policies and procedures;
- Maintain a cumulative G.P.A of 2.5 or higher.
The Student Governing Board meets monthly during the fall and winter semesters and every other month during the spring and summer semesters. The Student Governing Board also holds committee meetings once a month in addition to various work group meetings. Governors receive excellent training and support in areas of board governance and committee work. Past year’s members of Students’ Council described their experiences as successful, beneficial, professional and an overall excellent opportunity where their skills were utilized and valued, as well as enhanced through the experience of serving on the board.
The Student Governing Board is collectively the highest decision-making body of SAMRU and is a policy-making Board of Directors for the Students’ Association of Mount Royal University. As such, all Governors have a clearly defined governance role that focuses on the organization as a whole. The Student Governing Board has 14 seats, each of which is entitled to a single vote at Board meetings.
The Student Governing Board is made up of 14 governors and the President who each have a single vote, as well as 4 ex-officio members who do not have a vote: the 3 Vice-President members of the Representation Executive Council (Vice-President Academic, Vice-President External, Vice-President Student Affairs) and the SAMRU Executive Director. The ex-officio members act as advisors to the board in the areas of representation (Representation Executive Council) and operations and finance (Executive Director).
Board Governors are elected at the Annual General Meeting in the fall or winter semester to serve two years on the Board. The members of the Representation Executive Council are elected in the Winter semester for a one-year term. The role of the Representation Executive Council is to carry out representative and executive functions of Mount Royal University’s student government.
No current openings available.
Governor Meeting Minutes
If you’d like to know more about what your elected student Governors are doing on a regular basis, you can view their meeting minutes.
Phone: (403) 440-6405