The Tax Clinic is now CLOSED. We’ll return in March 2020!
To find other free clinics in the city, please visit the CRA’s Community Volunteer Income Tax Program website here.
SAMRU is offering a free tax clinic specifically designed to help low income individuals, run by CRA-trained volunteers. Any Mount Royal student can use this free service provided they meet certain qualifying criteria. Unfortunately, we cannot process returns for individuals who do not meet the criteria listed below.
Eligible clients for this service fall into the following categories:
- Individuals with an income of less than $30,000
- Married/common-law couples with a combined income of with less than $40,000
- Single parents with income less than $35,000
Clients must also meet the following requirements:
- Less than $1000 in interest income
- Must not own rental property or have rental income
- Must not own foreign property
- Must not have capital gains or losses
- Must not be self-employed or have self-employment income
- Must not have filed for bankruptcy
Appointments are made on a first-come-first-serve basis. Please make sure to arrive with all required documentation to complete your return.
Students filing with a spouse or common-law partner will need to make separate appointments. We request that you make both appointments back-to-back as both partners will need to be present for the assessment and filing of the return.
Please call the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) if you need to find out about missing information, information about your personal client file, and instructions on obtaining your notice of assessment. We cannot contact CRA on your behalf due to sensitivity issues with regards to client confidentiality. Canada Revenue Agency’s hotline is 1-800-959-8281.
Volunteers are not employees or volunteers of the Canada Revenue Agency. The SAMRU Tax Clinic is provided by a partnership between the Students’ Association of Mount Royal University and the Canada Revenue Agency’s Community Volunteer Income Tax Program.
Student Engagement Programmer