SAMRU’s Tax Clinic


Every Spring, SAMRU offers a free tax clinic, hosted by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), to qualifying low-income individuals, seniors, new immigrants, and families. The program requires qualified volunteers (see requirements below) to prepare these tax returns. Beef up your resume and help your fellow students!

This opportunity is open to ALL MRU students (current and alumni), not just those with an accounting background. No previous experience required. Send your resume to to be considered. Interviews will be conducted in January. A mandatory training session will be held February 2nd and 15th (attendance only required at one session).

CRA Requirements for Tax volunteers:

  • Committed no fraud
  • Up to date on income tax returns
  • No outstanding issues or balances with the CRA

Apply Now!

The Tax Clinic will return March 4-29, 2019 from 10 am to 4 pm, Monday to Friday.

SAMRU is offering a free tax clinic specifically designed to help low income individuals, run by CRA-trained volunteers. Any Mount Royal student can use this free service provided they meet certain qualifying criteria. Unfortunately, we cannot process returns for individuals who do not meet the criteria listed below.

Eligible clients for this service fall into the following categories: 

  • Individuals with an income of less than $30,000
  • Married/common-law couples with a combined income of with less than $40,000
  • Single parents with income less than $35,000

Clients must also meet the following requirements:

  • Less than $1000 in interest income
  • Must not own rental property or have rental income
  • Must not own foreign property
  • Must not have capital gains or losses
  • Must not be self-employed or have self-employment income
  • Must not have filed for bankruptcy


Download Documentation Checklist


Appointments are made on a first-come-first-serve basis. Please make sure to arrive with all required documentation to complete your return.

Students filing with a spouse or common-law partner will need to make separate appointments. We request that you make both appointments back-to-back as both partners will need to be present for the assessment and filing of the return.

Please call the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) if you need to find out about missing information, information about your personal client file, and instructions on obtaining your notice of assessment. We cannot contact CRA on your behalf due to sensitivity issues with regards to client confidentiality. Canada Revenue Agency’s hotline is 1-800-959-8281.

You must bring the following documents and information to your appointment:

  • Government Issued Identification (eg. driver’s license, passport, identification card)
  • Mount Royal University Campus ID
  • Notice of Assessment or Reassessment (NOA)
    • Federal Tuition Carry forward or Transfer amount
    • Provincial Tuition Carry Forward or Transfer amount *Please note that a client can transfer to a spouse, parent or grandparent only
    • RRSP Limit amount
    • Unused RRSP Carry Forward amount
  • Tuition Amounts Paid (T2202A slips)
  • If applicable: Scholarship, bursary, grant, student loan, post-doctoral fellowship (T4A)
  • If applicable: Interest Paid on Student Loan (Receipts)
  • If applicable: Employment Income (T4 slips)
    • Tips/Gratuities (Estimated Amount Received)
  • If applicable: Interest or Dividend (T5 and T3 slips) *Please note your interest income must be less than $1000. If more than $1000, your combined income must not be more than $30,000.
  • If applicable: RRSP Contributions (Receipts and T4RSP slips)
  • If applicable: Child Care Expenses (Receipts)
    • Universal Child Care Benefit (RC62 slips)
    • Receipts for children’s enrollment in fitness and arts extracurricular activities for the Children’s Fitness & Arts tax credit
  • If applicable: Public Transit Monthly Passes and Receipts
  • If applicable: Charitable Donation Receipts to Canadian registered charities
  • If applicable: Moving Expenses & Receipts
  • If applicable: Medical and Dental Receipts (any portions not paid or covered by insurance already)

Volunteers are not employees or volunteers of the Canada Revenue Agency. The SAMRU Tax Clinic is provided by a partnership between the Students’ Association of Mount Royal University and the Canada Revenue Agency’s Community Volunteer Income Tax Program.


Amber Stallard
Student Engagement Programmer


Lisa Antichow
Administration Manager
(403) 440-5603